Pages

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Tick Tock Tick Tock




It is impossible to enjoy idling thoroughly unless one has plenty of work to do.

On Being Idle

Jerome

One of my favorite activities is sitting with a magazine and listening to the tick of the clock. If books are the poetic soul of a home then the ticking clock is its whispered heartbeat. Sometimes its rhythm is company enough. How many anxious moments in a day do we gaze in its direction and depend on it to be our "Regulator"? Maybe it just wants to sit quietly with us and hum, or joyously chime. Today, just for a little while, I'm going to let time have its way.

2 comments:

  1. I, too, love to do that -- sit with a magazine or book and listen to the clock. I have quite a few clocks, and in the quiet, they really do sound like the house's heartbeat--really quite soothing. However, on days like today, when I have my 5 and 3 year old grandsons, there is no quiet, and you couldn't hear the clocks' ticking if you tried!! In fact, just writing this, I've been interrupted five times! That's ok. I love 'em, and they are my sunshine on these dark, dreary Oregon days.
    Hope you enjoyed your peaceful moments! Enjoying your blog is one of my peaceful moments!
    Love,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you... I am lazy and I am waundering around your posts... This is a beauty! I wanna go wind my old clock which is something I always forget to do!
    The whispering heartbeat!! Really how lovely is that... I know you must be writing an incredible book of your own? You know you must!
    Bella

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!