Pages

Monday, December 21, 2015

Freshening up the Greens











My amaryllis finished blooming and I wanted to replace it with another. But when I saw all the cheery poinsettias everywhere I chose one of those instead! I have surprised myself with how much red I am enjoying this season.




The visiting has commenced, and gathering around the fireplace with the lights turned low makes for a wonderful atmosphere. Between the lit candles, the twinkling tree lights, and the firelight, one can almost imagine a Christmas from long ago. Try it out! It is remarkably soothing.




We watched "It's a Wonderful Life" last night, and I have watched "Little Women" on my own. I'm behind on a few things because I have just let myself relax into the atmosphere this year. I seem to think that I always do that, but there is a qualitative difference this year.




When I went to the nursery this weekend, all the greens were already gone! They won't be replacing them. So I just added a little something to my mantel instead. Maybe I will search the florist for more of the fresh smell of evergreens that I crave this time of year. There's always a tree lot, or a walk in the woods!



I also get a little thrill from the arrival of the Winter Solstice. You would think that living in such a sunshiny state that it wouldn't matter so much. But I always love the thought of the days starting to get longer again!








So many sights, sounds, and tastes left to experience as we lead up to Christmas Day! 





I hope you are able to settle in and enjoy it all!






I may have a chance to wish you Merry Christmas a time or two more before it arrives, but just in case, here's another Merry Christmas to you! And a Happy New Year!!!

Jacqueline







I Was Featured!


15 comments:

  1. So lovely, especially the last photo. I have been watching Little Women and listening to the soundtrack on repeat. I have not been in the mood to watch the Christmasy movies. It feels different this year. I am ready to enter the New. Peaceful Tidings to you. Enjoy your big family xx Kerrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. And a very Merry Christmas to you and your family, Jacqueline!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in total love with your Christmas living room! It reminds me of those English cottages and their lovely rooms that they call snugs (which I think is so charming) Looking at your photos is like turning the pages of my favorite
    Victoria magazine.

    I too look forward to the days lengthening again. I kind of shut down when the day dims and yet I still have so much to do :)

    Wishing you the Merriest Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. June said it all Jacqueline, you already know how much I love your home and yes your style leans so many directions, one being a room of of British magazines Country home... Loving the cottage vibe you give off of all things truely cottage.
    my home is simple this year, and enjoying what the holidays truly mean to us.

    Your whites, and blending of quilted reds say cozy is where your holiday heart rest on.
    Love all the simple this Christmas season inspires here.

    Un Joyeux Noël

    Xx
    Doré

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cozy read! We have yet to watch "It's a Wonderful Life" but I'm hoping we can. I love the rhythm you seem to be finding this Christmas season. I have vowed to start a bit earlier on everything next year so that I don't repeat the frenzy. :o) I'm sitting with our 6-year-old as he tries to fall asleep...We've already read, sang and prayed but he just can't nod off. Our boys have been too excited to sleep much. Oh the joy of childhood expectation! ;) So thank you for this mini respite. Your home is beautiful. Xo, Merry Christmas! ~julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jacqueline, your room is gorgeous and so Christmas inviting. Charming and cozy all in one and I love the pop of red for the holiday.
    Wishing you and your family a beautiful season and a very Merry Christmas and all the best in the new year!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jacqueline, don't despair that you missed fresh greens. I purchased a "boat load" so that I could fill the air with the fragrance of Christmas. But alas, after spraying them with "Wilt Stop" the fragrance was gone. Instead, my lovely greens smelled of chemicals. Perhaps there is a product out there that won't have this effect, but "Wilt Stop" isn't it. Other than that disappointment (plus no snow) all else is looking cheery for happy holidays here in Wisconsin. Ho ho ho!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is all so lovely, Jacqueline. I am glad to hear that you have taken the time to truly enjoy it all.
    Merry Christmas to you & yours!
    Much love,
    Lin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Życzę Tobie i całej Twojej rodzinie zdrowych, spokojnych, ciepłych Świat Bożego Narodzenia i samych dobrych dni w Nowym Roku - Wanda 

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a lovely holiday and many blessings in the new year!
    J

    ReplyDelete
  11. So very beautiful! That red really kicks it up a notch!

    Let the festivities commence with love, laughter, joy and beauty. Merry Christmas, Jacqueline!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! Have a delightful Christmas.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely as always! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas Day, Jacqueline.
    Merry, Merry!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the touch of farmhouse red against the whitewashed adobe brick. Beautiful. xoxo Su

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!